Thursday, April 12, 2012

Botellódromos, huelga and other shinnanigans





So first I must quickly explain something about Spanish drinking culture that may confound and astound you. As you all know the drinking age here is a hazy 18, and just like in the United States it is illegal to drink in the streets. But many Spanish cities have one exception to this rule; a botellón, which is a gathering of young people in a designated area of the city (in Granada, an enormous abandoned parking lot) where they can amass and drink publicly. Every year in Granada, for la Fiesta de la Primavera (on the first day of spring) ...partly fueled by a competition with Seville... the normal botellón swells to a so-called botellodromo, this year with a record 20,000 young people. V and I wanted to see it, so by climbing through masses of people and tiptoeing around puddles of spilled alcohol, these are the pictures we took from the middle of the madness.

Poor grocery cart.


On a hike to the overlook A wanted to show me (top) I had to stop in the beautiful Cementerio de San Jose (to his dismay - young people don't hang out in cemeteries, Kristian... and what are you doing, taking pictures?!) Call me macabre, but I've always thought cemeteries are beautiful, peaceful places, and I love to see how they differ between countries and cultures. 


These two photographs (above and below) were taken near the Alhambra in Carmen de los Mártires, a beautiful nineteenth century garden. After two unsuccessful attempts to visit with two different friends, the third time was the charm! What an enchanting place - and there were peacocks!


This is the highest lookout in Granada that I know of. We had to hike uphill for 45 minutes through the winding, cobblestone roads of the Albaicin to reach this beautiful view from an abandoned church.

I was taking pictures of the lovely H when she made this expression...

"UH donkey!" I was befuddled for a moment before looking around - she had seen this odd couple coming towards us over my shoulder.

Finally finished her - and I'm embarrassed to confess I'm quite proud - not bad for my first carboncillo (charcoal) drawing. Proof I'm still loving my weekly drawing lessons!



29th of March marked the huelga general (general strike) all over Spain, in protest to the new administration's policies, particularly those that open up new conditions for permitting companies to fire employees. Some 5,000,000 people are currently unemployed in Spain.

Cuddled up in my room on a rainy day drinking tea with fresh spearmint. Time to slow down, write, read and reflect on this experience has been a great way to savor and truly appreciate this experience, (it has also on the whole been invaluable to my sanity). 



No comments:

Post a Comment